1. I looked at my Nielsen Bookscan numbers for Um... in all of its formats, and realized that
2. in Denver, five paperbacks were sold at the same week before Thanksgiving, so
3. I took a chance and called Tattered Cover on the off-chance the sales happened there, and on the phone discovered
4. those five paperbacks were sold from Tattered Cover, as well as the fact that
5. the book has been selling quietly but steadily for the last three years because
6. one of the senior buyers, Mindy Reser, is a fan and, since she was standing right there,
7. I got to talk to Mindy, thank her for her attention, and let her know that anyone else who buys the book should know I’m interested in being in touch with readers (since she couldn’t put me in touch with the people who’ve been buying it, for obvious reasons).